Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Signs of the Season

The change in weather is, of course, one of the first indicators that the seasons are about to change. For example, the leaves turned yellow, orange and red. I began walking out my apartment in my morning into crisp, fall air. There was condensation on my apartment windows. Fall had arrived. But there are other, more subtle things, which poke into your consciousness too, and say, “Hey, things are changing; the next season is just around the corner!” And which season is it that all these little things are pointing to so strongly? Christmas!?! In the two days following Halloween, I noticed these harbingers:

Sunday, November 1:

  • At church they passed out the CD of music for the preschoolers to begin learning for the Christmas program.
  • When I bought something at Border’s Bookstore after church (and I must admit it was a Christmas present. Hey, I had a 40% off coupon, and it does pay to plan ahead!), they asked me if I needed a gift receipt. Now I don’t shop at Border’s often enough to know if they always ask you if you need a gift receipt, but it was another indicator that our gift giving season is upon us.
  • Amazon now has a lovely Christmas tree swirling across the top of their home page.
  • The Toys-R-Us complete toy catalogue was tucked in the newspaper. I guess it’s time for all the little children to begin writing their Christmas letters to Santa!
  • The grocery ads are filled with kidney beans and black beans and chili beans and everything you need to make those yummy winter comfort foods! Hot dog buns won't be advertised again until May! Coupons for cold medicine and Kleenex and cough drops abound. Coupons for bug repellants and sun block will return once again in the spring.
Monday, November 2:

  • As I was out running errands, I drove by a church which now has their entire Christmas tree display set up in their front lawn. They have dozens upon dozens of trees of all heights surrounding the building. During the day, the trees are very reminiscent of a Southern belle's hoop skirt as the strings of lights stretch from the tip of a pole to a circular base. When I drove by on my way home from work tonight, they didn’t have them lit up yet; maybe they’ll actually wait until after Thanksgiving for that!
  •  Hy-Vee had deposited all their Halloween candy in clearance carts at the front of the store and was restocking the empty shelves with bags of red and green M&Ms and snow-flaked, silver-foiled peppermint patties. 
  • I received my first red and green Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon in the mail. No more of their traditional blue until January!
So it appears that Dairy Queen with their oh, so delicious pumpkin pie blizzard is the only one remembering that Thanksgiving does indeed lie between now and Christmas. Otherwise, hang on, because it appears that it is now full-steam ahead to December 25!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas season, but I'm not quite ready to jump into Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you tried the pumpkin pie blizzard! It is so delicious! Also, it's in the 60s here...the blizzard last week made it feel sort of Christmasy, but now it feels like September again.

    ReplyDelete